The program for this project required flexible gallery spaces, a museum shop, photographic archives, conservation space, art storage, dark rooms, and a framing shop. To create the gallery spaces the first floor was opened to its maximum height of 20 feet, and a L-shaped mezzanine was added. This solution resulted in potential exhibition spaces that could be used independently or in combination. This building was completed in August 1983, while Mr. James was principal of Bond Ryder James, Architects, P.C..
Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture
This project required the insertion of a 450 seat legitimate theater, all its support spaces, and a new space for library functions between the original 1910 Schomburg Library, the 1980 Schomburg Center, and the 1930's Countee Cullen Library. The theater lobby connects the new and original Schomburg buildings. A courtyard is flanked by the lower reading room and the theater lobby. This building was completed in August 1991, while Mr. James was principal of Bond Ryder James, Architects, P.C..